India is one of the largest and fastest-growing stock markets in the world.
The Indian equities market has grown at an average CAGR of over 23% since 2003, which is among the highest in emerging markets.
A huge pool of investors and traders makes it imperative for companies to focus on their marketing tactics.
So let’s take a look at –
Zerodha is India’s top stock broker which focuses on providing trading services to retail investors. It provides all the features that a trader needs to trade in stock markets and it has made its entry into India with a zero commission.
Zerodha’s website offers Demat accounts for its clients so they can buy or sell stocks at their own convenience. The company also allows users to make wire transfers through UPI, NEFT, or RTGS modes which allows them to pay commissions directly into their bank accounts without any additional charges.
Account Opening Fees for Zerodha
For online account establishment with Zerodha, there are 200 rupees in account opening fees. You would be charged Rs 400 if you decide to register an account offline. AMC for Demat accounts is Rs 300 annually.
|Trading & Demat Account Opening||Rs. 200|
|Trading Account AMC||Rs. 0|
|Demat Account AMC||Rs. 300 per year|
Fee Structure Of Zerodha
|Zerodha charges||Equity delivery||Equity intraday||F&O – Futures||F&O – Options|
|Brokerage||Zero Brokerage||0.03% or Rs. 20/executed order whichever is lower||0.03% or Rs. 20/executed order whichever is lower||Flat Rs. 20 per executed order|
|STT/CTT||0.1% on buy & sell||0.025% on the sell side||0.01% on sell side||0.05% on sell side (on premium)|
|Transaction charges||NSE: 0.00345%|
|NSE: 0.002%||NSE: 0.053% (on premium)|
|GST||18% on (brokerage + SEBI charges + transaction charges)||18% on (brokerage + SEBI charges + transaction charges)||18% on (brokerage + SEBI charges + transaction charges)||18% on (brokerage + SEBI charges + transaction charges)|
|SEBI charges||₹10 / crore + GST||₹10 / crore + GST||₹10 / crore + GST||₹10 / crore + GST|
|Stamp charges||0.015% or ₹1500 / crore on buy side||0.003% or ₹300 / crore on buy side||0.002% or ₹200 / crore on buy side||0.003% or ₹300 / crore on buy side|
The Benefits and Drawbacks of Zerodha
The following are Zerodha’s benefits. Before opening an account with Zerodha, you should read the benefits and drawbacks. The pros and cons of Zerodha can help you determine whether it is suitable for your investment needs.
- Popular Broker: Zerodha is India’s largest stockbroker (by the number of active clients and daily trading volume).
- India’s cheapest share broker provides services with a straightforward pricing structure. Regardless of trade size, they charge 0.03% or Rs 20 per executed order, whichever is lower. The maximum brokerage paid by the customer per trade is Rs 20.
- Referral Program at Zerodha: Earn 10% of your brokerage share by referring a friend.
- Self-Clearing Broker: They don’t charge customers clearing fees.
The drawbacks of Zerodha are listed below. Check out the list of negatives for Zerodha.
- There are no stock tips, research reports, or recommendations.
- There are no monthly unlimited trading plans available.
- For MIS/BO/CO positions that the customer does not square off, there is an additional charge of Rs 50 per executed order.
- There is an additional charge of Rs. 50 per executed order for call and trade.
Groww is a broker with offices in Bangalore that offers direct mutual funds and initial public offerings (IPOs). Next billion Technology Private Limited, a stockbroker registered with SEBI and a participant in the NSE and BSE, does business as Groww. It is also on the list of India’s Top 10 Stock Brokers
Groww was first launched in 2016 as a platform for direct mutual fund investments. Groww expanded its product offering to include equity trading in the middle of the decade. The company also provides its clients with Fixed deposits, US Stocks, and Digital Gold as additional investment options.
Groww charges a flat fee per trade that is either Rs 20 or 0.05%. No matter the quantity or price, the brokerage fee for an order is capped at Rs 20. Free Mutual Fund services are provided by Groww.
Account Opening Fees for Groww
Groww uses a fixed brokerage model, charging a flat Rs 20 for each executed order for intraday, futures, and options (F&O) trades. The maximum brokerage per order across all trading segments is Rs 20.
|Equity Delivery||Rs 20 per trade (or 0.05% whichever is lower)|
|Equity Intraday||Rs 20 per trade (or 0.05% whichever is lower)|
|Equity F&O||Rs 20 per trade|
Fee Structure Of Groww
Auto Square-off charges
for open intraday positions by system
|₹50 per position|
If unable to deliver a stock (not in Demat)
|As per the actual penalty by exchange|
|Equity||Futures & Options|
|STT (Securities Transaction Tax)|
|Exchange Transaction charge|
|SEBI Turnover charge|
₹13.5 per company
On Brokerage, DP charges, Exchange Transaction charges, SEBI Turnover charges, and Auto Square-Off charges
Physical Delivery of derivatives
The Benefits and Drawbacks of Groww
- Simple pricing structure Fixed brokerage of Rs 20 per trade.
- No fee for opening an account.
- There are no Demat AMC fees.
- Instant opening of a paperless account.
- Applying for an IPO online.
- Using the Direct Mutual Funds platform, you can increase your returns by 1.5%.
- The choice to invest in digital gold online.
- Limited investment options without the ability to trade in the currency or commodity segments.
- Not a single Call and Trade service.
- Don’t offer stock recommendations, research summaries, or advice.
- Don’t offer to buy shares of SMEs (Companies listed on BSE SME and NSE Emerge platform).
- No support for branches.
- no facility for margin trading.
- No shares are being Margined.
- Not available are advanced order types like BO, CO, AMO, and GTT.
- In the Groww app, trailing stop-loss orders are not supported.
- Offer no NRI trading.
- There are no SME IPOs available.
3. Angel One
One of the biggest full-service retail brokers in India, Angel One (Angel One), which was founded in 1987, offers online discount brokerage services. The business provides a wide range of trading and investment services, such as stock and commodity broking, investment advisory services, margin funding, loans secured by shares, and distribution of financial products.
As of June 30, 2018, Angel One had 110 branches and 11,000 sub-broker offices spread across 1800+ Indian cities.
In order to compete with discount stock brokers like Zerodha, Angel One updated its brokerage plans in November 2019. The “Angel iTrade PRIME” flat rate brokerage plan is now available from Angel One. With the exception of equity delivery, this plan offers trading in all segments (intraday, F&O, currencies, and commodities) at a fixed rate of Rs 20 per trade.
Account Opening Fees for Angel One
The only trading strategy offered by Angel One is called “Angel iTrade.”. In line with discount stock brokers in India, this online trading plan provides full-service brokerage services for incredibly low brokerage fees.
|Equity Delivery||Flat Rs 0 (Free)|
|Equity Intraday||Flat Rs 20 or 0.25% (whichever is lower)|
|Equity F&O||Flat Rs 20 or 0.25% (whichever is lower)|
|Currency F&O||Flat Rs 20 or 0.25% (whichever is lower)|
|Commodity F&O||Flat Rs 20 or 0.25% (whichever is lower)|
Fee Structure Of Angel One
Regulatory & Statutory Charges
|Stock Investments||Intraday Trading||Futures||Options|
BSE*: As Per The Stock GroupBUY SELL
BSE*: As Per The Stock GroupBUY SELL
NSE: 0.00195%BUY SELL
NSE: 0.053%BUY SELL
|Demat Transaction / DP Charges|
₹20 / Company Sell
|STT (Securities Transaction Tax)|
|Stamp Duty Charges|
₹ 10/ crore
₹ 10/ crore
₹ 10/ crore
₹ 10/ crore
The Benefits and Drawbacks of Angle One
Angle One Advantages:
The benefits of Angel One are as follows. Before opening an Angel One account, you must read the benefits and drawbacks. Angel One’s benefits and drawbacks can help you decide if it meets your investment requirements.
- Incredibly low brokerage fees, and full-service brokerage services are offered.
- For all markets and exchanges, stockbrokers charge a flat fee of Rs 20 per order.
- For beginners, training and assistance are available.
- For intraday square-off and call & trade, only charge Rs 20. (others charge Rs 50).
- Even at a discount brokerage, local sub broker/RM services are available.
Angle One Disavantages:
The drawbacks of Angel One are as follows.
- Customers receive margin funding on an ad-hoc basis. This causes a lot of confusion and results in the customer paying high-interest rates.
- SME share trading is not available through Angel Broking.
- Angel RM and the sales team attempt cross-selling other goods and services.
- No available GTC/GTT order facility.
Upstox is a discount broker that offers trade execution, research, and education services to its clients. The company was founded in 2014 by Reliance Securities Limited (RSSL), which has been one of the most successful stock broking firms in India since its inception.
Upstox has a good mobile app that allows you to trade stocks on your phone or tablet with just one click! This makes it easy for you to keep track of your trades while traveling or when you’re at work during evenings/weekends when most people are sleeping off their day jobs…or whatever else people do when they aren’t working hard enough!
The company also offers website access so users can view all their accounts from anywhere around the world! The website design is really clean and organized making it easy for anyone who wants access without having any technical knowledge whatsoever about investing in stocks online before signing up for an account with Upstox brokerage firm.”
Upstox Charges 2023
- Upstox Account Opening Charges: Rs 249
- Upstox Demat AMC: Rs 0 (Free)
Upstox Equity Delivery & Intraday Charges
Upstox equity delivery brokerage is Rs 20 or 0.1% whichever is lower per order. Upstox equity intraday brokerage is Rs 20 per executed order or 0.05% (whichever is lower).
|Upstox Charges||Equity Delivery||Equity Intraday|
|Brokerage||Rs 20 per executed order or 2.5% (whichever is lower)||Rs 20 per executed order or 0.05% (whichever is lower)|
|STT||0.1% on both Buy and Sell||0.025% on the Sell Side|
|Transaction Charges||Rs 325/crore||Rs 325/crore|
|Demat Transaction Charges||Rs 18.5 per scrip (only on sell)||Rs 0|
|GST||18% (on Brokerage + Transaction Charges)||18% (on Brokerage + Transaction Charges)|
|SEBI Charges||0.0001% (Rs 10/Crore)||0.0001% (Rs 10/Crore)|
|Stamp Duty||0.015% (Rs 1500 per crore) on buy-side||0.003% (Rs 300 per crore) on buy-side|
The Benefits and Drawbacks of Upstox
- There are no Demat account maintenance fees.
- At the BSE, NSE, and MCX, the brokerage is fixed at Rs 20 per trade across all segments, including delivery, intraday, and F&O.
- There is a mobile trading app for both Android and iOS phones. There are no software charges.
- AMO and Cover Order are available on both the web and mobile platforms.
- Trailing-Stop/Stop-Loss (SL) is available on the web as well as on mobile.
- GTT orders are available in both equity and commodity markets.
- Equity delivery brokerage charges Rs 20 per trade. The majority of other brokers provide stock market investments without paying brokerage.
- Delivery trades are not eligible for margin funding.
- Upstox does not offer limitless monthly trading plans.
- An additional Rs. 20 (Rs. 20 for brokerage plus Rs. 20 for call and trade fee) is charged for each executed order.
- If the customer does not square off their intraday MIS/BO/CO orders, an additional Rs 20 per executed order is charged.
- doesn’t offer stock recommendations or tips.
5. ICICI Direct
ICICI Direct is a part of ICICI Bank, one of India’s largest banks with over $210 billion in assets. It provides online trading in stocks, mutual funds, commodities, and options for individuals and institutions.
The company has several retail segments such as direct broking services to individual investors (which includes savings plans), wealth management services to high net worth individuals through its private label products like Wealth Builder Plans & Tax-Free Savings Accounts (TFSAs), etc., as well as an institutional business led by its Investment Banking Division which offers advisory services like portfolio management and structured finance products among others.
USP of ICICIdirect
What distinguishes ICICIdirect from the competition?
- Provide a 3-in-1 account.
- Help is available at local ICICI Bank branches.
- Known brand.
Account Opening Fees for ICICI Direct
|Account Opening Charges||Rs 0 (Free)|
|Demat Account Annual Maintenance Charges AMC||Rs 300 per year|
|Demat Debit Transaction Charges (Sell Orders)||Rs 20 per transaction|
|Call & Trade Charges||Rs 50 per order|
The Benefits and Drawbacks of ICICI Direct
ICICI Direct Advantages:
- The 3-in-1 account combines your banking, brokerage, and Demat accounts. All ICICI accounts are very well integrated. Because of this feature, ICICI is the most intriguing player in the online trading facility. There is no need for manual intervention. This is an authentic online trading environment.
- Unlike most online trading companies in India, which require money to be transferred to the broker’s pool or to deposits, ICICIDirect allows you to manage your own Demat and bank accounts through ICICIdirect.com. Money from stock sales is available in an ICICI bank account as soon as it is received by ICICIDirect.
- Online investment in IPOs, Mutual Funds, GOI Bonds, and Postal Savings Schemes from a single website. ICICI Lombard also provides general insurance.
- Trading is possible on both the BSE and the NSE.
ICICI Direct Disadvantages:
- The brokerage rate at ICICIdirect is high and not negotiable. Subscribing to ICICIdirect Prime or prepaid brokerage plans can reduce brokerage costs.
- The standard I-Secure Plan from ICICI has a minimum brokerage charge of Rs 35 per trade, which is very high for traders who do small trades.
- ICICI charges a flat Rs 0.05 per share brokerage on stocks with a market capitalization of up to Rs 10. This makes trading penny stocks extremely difficult.
- After the first 20 free calls in a month, ICICIdirect charges Rs 25 per call and trade.
5Paisa is a discount broker in India that offers to trade in stocks, commodities, and forex. The company is part of the global investment banking group and offers trading through its website and mobile app. It also has branches across the country to assist it.
5Paisa has three subscription packages: the Basic Pack, the Power Investor Pack, and the Ultra Trader Pack. These programs provide a variety of incentives, ranging from no account opening fees to a flat fee reduction from Rs 20 to Rs 10.
5paisa Mutual Funds provides both regular and direct mutual funds. For online mutual fund investments, 5paisa change charges a fixed Rs 10 per executed order. An investor can make a one-time or recurring investment.
5paisa Demat account is available through its CDSL depository participant membership.
The 5paisa trading platform consists of three components: a mobile trading app, a trading website, and an installable trading terminal.
Account Opening Fees for 5Paisa
|Trading Account Opening Charges (One Time)||Rs 0 (Free)|
|Trading Annual Maintenance Charges (AMC)||Rs 0 (Free)|
|Demat Account Opening Charges (One Time)||Rs 0|
|Demat Account Maintenance Charges (AMC)||Rs 300 yearly (charged as Rs 25 per month)|
The Benefits and Drawbacks of 5Paisa
- There is a flat fee of 20 Rs for each order, regardless of the amount of the trade, sector, or exchange.
- All-in-one account for stocks, mutual funds, commodities, currencies, research, and advising.
- In 5 minutes, you may start a FREE and paperless account.
- Lowest DP Fees
- Mutual Fund Account for Free
- App for trading in several languages
- Customers receive financing for their margins on an ad hoc basis. This results in significant confusion for the client and high interest costs.
- Demat debit transaction fees that are extremely expensive. In the Optimum plan, they charge Rs 25 or 0.025%.
- In comparison to other cheap brokers, higher exchange transaction fees.
- The Optimum plan offers Call & Trade at an extra fee of Rs 100 per call. For a flat charge of Rs 100, the user may execute any number of deals in a single call.
- In the Optimum Plan, research and consulting services are not offered.
- 5Paisa does not provide services for NRI Trading.
7. HDFC Securities
HDFC Securities is a part of the HDFC Bank group, which has more than 4 million customers. The company is one of the largest brokers in India and also one of the most popular. It offers a wide range of financial products including investment banking services, retail brokerage, and managed accounts for individual investors as well as institutional clients.
HDFC Securities was founded in 1985 by Mr. Ashok Jhunjhunwala who served as its chairman till 2008 when his son Mr. Sunil Jhunjhunwala took over this position after graduating from Harvard Business School (HBS).
USP of HDFC Securities
What distinguishes HDFC Securities from its rivals?
- All of your investments may be found in one place.
- Trading platforms and alternatives abound.
- Equity Delivery has the lowest brokerage rate of 0.10% for each trade.
- In-depth Portfolio Monitoring.
- Call and Trade service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- With the enCash Facility, you may receive a payout of up to Rs 5 lakhs on the same day.
- Service for Relationship Managers.
- Margin Trading Service.
- Brokerage plans of many types
- Basket Investment registration is free.
Brokerage for Delivery-Based Trades
|Delivery Based Trades||Resident Indians – 0.50% or min Rs 25 or ceiling of 2.5% on transaction value (Both Buy & Sell)|
For NRI’s – 0.75% or min Rs 100 or ceiling of 2.5% on transaction value (Both Buy & Sell)
|Square-Off Trades Cash & Carry Scrips||0.10% or min Rs 25 or ceiling of 2.5% on transaction value (Both Buy & Sell)|
|Square-Off Trades Margin Scrips||0.05% or min Rs 25 or ceiling of 2.5% on transaction value (Both Buy & Sell)|
|Derivatives (Futures Market)|
|Non-Square Off (Carry Forward) Trades||0.05% or min Rs 25 or ceiling of 2.5% of the transaction value (Both Buy & Sell)|
|Square-Off Trades||0.025% or min Rs 25 or ceiling of 2.5% of the transaction value (Both Buy & Sell)|
The Benefits and Drawbacks of HDFC Securities
HDFC Securities Advantages:
- There is a 3-in-1 account (banking, broking, and Demat) accessible. This makes HDFC’s trading platform exceedingly convenient.
- Online investment in IPOs, Mutual Funds, GOI Bonds, Insurance, and Postal Savings Schemes from a single website.
- Trading is possible on both the BSE and the NSE.
- A fantastic trading platform for novices.
HDFC Securities Disadvantages:
- HDFC Sec brokerage is costly and non-negotiable.
- HDFC does not provide commodity trading services. HDFC does not allow you to trade at the MCX or NCDEX.
- The Demat Account must be opened with HDFC Bank Ltd as the Depository Participant (DP) and the Bank Account must be opened with HDFC Bank as the Banker in the 3-in-1 account.
- The minimum brokerage charge for HDFC is Rs 25 per trade, which is extremely excessive. A minimum brokerage is not required by the majority of bargain brokers.
- HDFC charges a flat Rs 0.05 per share brokerage on equities with a market capitalization of up to Rs 10. This makes trading penny stocks extremely difficult.
8. Kotak Securities
Kotak Securities Ltd, founded in 1994, is a full-service stock broker that provides retail investors in India with a 3-in-1 account (bank + trading + Demat account). It provides investments in stocks, derivatives (stocks, commodities, and currencies), and mutual funds. Portfolio Management Services (PMS), research, margin trade finance, depository services, and third-party goods such as insurance are also available. In addition, the company provides direct access to US markets.
Kotak Securities is a division of Kotak Mahindra Bank, one of India’s largest private banks. Kotak Securities has 153 locations and 1332 franchisees spread over 361 cities.
USP of Kotak Securities
- Over 25 years of experience.
- A subsidiary of the reputed Kotak Mahindra Bank.
- Provide a three-in-one account (banking, trading, and Demat).
- There is a physical presence in 393 cities.
- Technical, fundamental, derivatives, macroeconomic, and mutual fund research are provided for free.
- Different brokerage options are available to meet your needs.
Kotak Securities Brokerage Plans
|Plan Name||Trade Free Plan||Trade Free Max Plan||No Brokerage Plan|
|What it is?||ZERO brokerage on intraday trades across all segments||Upto 4x with Margin Trading Facility||Investors under the age of 30 years pay ZERO brokerage on all trades.|
|Account Opening Fee||FREE||FREE||FREE|
|Subscription fee||FREE||Rs 2499 (Annual)||Rs 499 (Annual)|
|Validity||Lifetime||1 year||2 years|
|Intraday Brokerage||FREE (All segments)||FREE (All segments)||FREE (All segments)|
|Equity Delivery||0.25% or Rs 20 whichever is higher||0.25% or Rs 20 whichever is higher||FREE (All segments)|
|Carry forward (All applicable segments)||Rs 20 per order||Rs 20 per order||FREE|
|Margin Trading Facility||12.49% p.a.||8.75% p.a.||12.49% p.a.|
|Stock used as margin for derivative trades||16.99% p.a.||16.99% p.a||16.99% p.a.|
|Brokerage Cashback||NA||Upto Rs 4,128 for 90 days on all trades post 1st MTF trade||NA|
|Demat AMC||Rs 50 per month||Rs 50 per month||Rs 50 per month|
The Benefits and Drawbacks of Kotak Securities
Kotak Securities Advantages:
- Kotak Securities provides a three-in-one account.
- Over 25 years of dependable service.
- There are low-cost online discount brokerage options accessible.
- For investors under the age of 30, there is no brokerage fee.
Kotak Securities Disadvantages:
- An extensively touted Zero Brokerage Plan is only available to investors under the age of 30.
- Brokerage fees for equity delivery are high (0.25%).
- Brokerage is extremely costly in the dealer-assisted brokerage plan (0.39% delivery, Rs 30 per lot Options).
9. Motilal Oswal Securities Limited (MOSL)
Motilal Oswal Securities Limited (MOSL) is an Indian financial services company. The company was founded in 2003 by Motilal Oswal, a former analyst with Goldman Sachs. In 2008 it was listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange and the National Stock Exchange of India, but withdrew from this market on 17 April 2011 after failing to find investors for its IPO.
In 2013 MOSL merged with Avendus Capital Management LLC., a Mumbai-based hedge fund that had been founded by Raghunandan Gopalan in 2005
Account Opening Fees for Motilal Oswal Securities Limited
|Trading Account Opening||Rs 0 (Free)|
|Trading Annual Maintenance (AMC)||Rs 0 (Free)|
|Demat Account Opening||Rs 0 (Free)|
|Demat Account Annual Maintenance (AMC)||Rs 400 (Free for 1st year)|
The Benefits and Drawbacks of Motilal Oswal
Motilal Oswal Securities Limited Advantages:
- 20+ years of trading and investment experience.
- A wide range of investment options is available, including equity, derivatives, initial public offerings (IPOs), mutual funds, insurance, and fixed deposits.
- Free research consulting services.
- Trading software is available for free.
Motilal Oswal Securities Limited Disadvantages:
- Brokerage fees are extremely costly when compared to other full-service and bargain brokers.
- Does not provide a 3-in-1 account.
IIFL is India’s largest and oldest stock broking firm. It offers a wide range of services including equity brokerage, stock broking, commodities, mutual funds, and NCDs. The company is also one of the first Indian brokerage firms to offer online stock trading in India.
IIFL’s product offerings include:
- In-house research services (including fundamental analysis)
- Market commentary on stocks & sectors
- Newsletters covering news items related to Indian equities
Account Opening Fees & Annual maintenance charges (AMC)
IFL provides free online account registration. Customers pay a Demat account AMC of Rs 250. For the first year, the Demat AMC is free.
- IIFL Account Opening Fees: Rs (Free)
- Annual Maintenance Charges (AMC) for Demat Account: Rs 250 (Free for the first year)
The Benefits and Drawbacks of IIFL
- Full-service broker with branches throughout India.
- Delivery, intraday, and F&O brokerage are flat Rs 20 per dealer at the BSE, NSE, MCX, and NCDEX.
- Free equity and mutual fund research and recommendations.
- One of the greatest advanced trading platforms is Trader Terminal.
- On the same site, you can trade stocks, commodities, and currencies.
- Customers receive margin funding without notification. This causes significant confusion and results in the user paying exorbitant interest costs.
- Unlike Zerodha, ProStocks, Angel One, and other inexpensive brokers, equity delivery brokerage are not free.
- Because IIFL lacks a banking license, it does not provide a 3-in-1 account.
- Direct Mutual Funds are not available.
- The cost of a call and a trade change is Rs 50 per call.
So this is the list of the Top 10 Stock Brokers in India. If you have any suggestions or comments, please do let us know. We would love to hear from you.