Tata Power, one of India’s largest power companies, announced on August 8, 2023 that it would invest Rs 13,000 crore in Maharashtra to set up two pumped hydro storage projects (PSPs). The two projects will have a combined capacity of 2,800 MW and will be located at Shirawta in Pune (1,800 MW) and Bhivpuri in Raigad (1,000 MW).
The PSPs are a type of renewable energy project that stores water in two reservoirs at different heights. During times of excess electricity, water is pumped from the lower reservoir to the higher reservoir. During times of peak demand, the water is released from the upper reservoir to generate electricity.
The PSPs will help to meet the growing demand for electricity in Maharashtra, as well as to provide grid stability. They will also help to reduce the state’s reliance on fossil fuels. The projects are expected to be completed by 2028.
The investment is a major boost for Maharashtra’s clean energy sector. It is also a sign of Tata Power’s commitment to clean energy. The company has set a target of generating 80% of its electricity from renewable sources by 2030.
Here are some of the benefits of the Tata Power investment in Maharashtra:
- It will help to meet the growing demand for electricity in the state.
- It will reduce the state’s reliance on fossil fuels.
- It will create jobs in the clean energy sector.
- It will boost the state’s economy.
- It will help to improve air quality in the state.
The investment is a win-win for both Tata Power and Maharashtra. It will help Tata Power to achieve its clean energy goals, and it will help Maharashtra to meet its energy needs in a sustainable way.
In addition to the benefits mentioned above, the PSPs will also have a number of other positive impacts on Maharashtra. For example, they will:
- Increase the state’s energy security by providing a reliable source of power.
- Help to reduce the state’s carbon emissions by displacing fossil fuel-fired power plants.
- Improve the state’s air quality by reducing the emissions of pollutants from power plants.
- Create jobs in the construction and operation of the PSPs.
- Promote tourism in the areas where the PSPs are located.
The Tata Power investment in Maharashtra is a significant milestone in the development of the state’s clean energy sector. It is a sign of the company’s commitment to clean energy and its confidence in the future of the state. The PSPs will play a key role in helping Maharashtra meet its energy needs in a sustainable way.